Hard to believe that the holidays are over and we are heading into a new year! That is a photo of our street in the last snow storm. Snow usually happens later around here so I feel like it should be later in the season than it is. I will say that getting snowed in for two weeks was sort of grounding for me because it afforded so much undistracted family time and just time puttering around the house. It was a funny time to slow down when that last push before the holidays is usually so harried. Fortunately I had things done surprisingly early this year so that was a help. I wonder if I had a sixth sense to the coming storm, like Pa did in the Long Winter. (I love those books!) So after much thought, I have comprised a partial list of goals for the coming year. Our friends have adopted the mantra "refine in 2009" and that seems a good goal. Refining and fine tuning- not overhauling. I think I will look at my goals at the beginning of each month and fine tune as I go along. So in no particular order, here goes:
1. Get the whole family eating healthier. Stir Fry once a week and salmon once a week for starters. We like both things, we just don't eat them enough.
2. Teach myself to type without looking at the keys. Funny thing is that I can type as well without looking at the keys but I am so used to staring at them while I type, it has been a hard habit to break.
3. More time being physical for me. More walks, more yoga, more just moving myself for the sake of moving myself.
4. Keep a slower pace. Less t.v , more sleep, more tuning into my thoughts. I had to laugh- I read all four of the Twilight books over a period of two weeks and in order to do that I didn't even turn the tv on over those two weeks. Though I don't watch a ton of tv anyhow, it got me into a good habit of not even turning it on. Though I will say I enjoyed several very cheesy holiday tv movies but those are done now.
5. Have people for dinner once a month. We used to entertain all the time and then it all became a tad overwhelming with kids so it slowly petered out. We do casual evenings in with friends but I would like to reconnect with some folks we have fallen out of touch with and this seems a good way to start doing that.
And for the month of January, my goal is to post here every other day.
Overall I like to think this year will be about momentum and inertia. I think once I get myself going on certain things, the inertia will help me keep those things going.
Cheers to a wonderful 2009!